Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Thoughts On Lent

Tomorrow is the first say of Lent. I just got out of church and I am feeling truly inpired.Growing up I went to an old school Greek Orthodox church. We just did what we were told. Just don't eat meat during lent for fear of God and fear of my mom. But what does it all mean? Why do we go through all of this sacrifice stuff? Well, J.C was in the wilderness isolated for 40 days. During those 40 days he was tempted by the devil. The Devil offered him many appealing things but Jesus kept turning him down. We are trying to mimic turning away these temptations.Cleansing ourselves of all things evil. Bad food,diharrea of the mouth and bad TV. I am guilty of diharrea of the mouth. Not so much swearing. More of judgement or negative comentary. It ends today. After church, my sister and I decided to give up verbal uncleanliness for the duration of lent. This is a hard one! We joked that we may not have much to talk about on the phone anymore! So beware I cannot comment on the gossip or negative chatter. I will just simply smile and say nothing. 40 days of positive talk and positive messages on Facebook. If you catch me doing it call me on it! What are you willing to change??? Kali Sarakosti....or Happy Lent. May God Bless us all! :)

No comments: